Monday, October 24, 2005

It Is Not A Perfect World.

We transport Brenda to Hot Springs for rehabilitation. On day 6, Thursday around noon, just after I watched Brenda receive an hour of physical therapy, an hour of water therapy and an hour of walking in the thermal pool, my cell phone rings. It is the Insurance Adjustor from State Farm. She informs me that my trip to Hot Springs will not be covered. She states that physical therapy in Hot Springs is not " reasonable and necessary treatment."

Ok, so I am sitting there thinking that just 6 six days prior, Brenda was bedridden, sleeping 21 hours a day and unable to use the commode without assistance. What is wrong with this picture. That night was my last night teaching the summer coaching class. The students were excited they were graduating and starting their careers as a Life Coach. They asked what took the steam out of me? I could not believe that after watching my wife suffer for two weeks, I finally got her the necessary treatment and the insurance adjustor can call and take that away from us.

Three days later, we were headed back to Dahlonega. On the way back Brenda explained that for the first time since the accident, she could see improvement. Also, she explained that while at home, under medication, she was having awful reoccurring nightmares from the accident. Every night the scene replayed for her seeing this man come across the grassy median on Ga. 400.

The more we talked, the more I found out that one thing that really bothered her was the fact that Mr. Holloway, the man who hit her head on, never apologized or even came over to the ambulance to see if she would live or dye. How could a human being hurt another human being and not care?

Unfortunately in the judicial system, apologies are not a key ingredient. Mr. Holloway, the driver of the truck was cited by the police department and is scheduled to appear in court in December. I started to see a pattern in her nightmares.

When I returned from Hot Springs, I went to see my Insurance Agent. One thing is for sure, most people build trust in their insurance agent. I know I sure did. You grow up watching those commercials that if you ever has a problem, someone will be there to take care of you, to make you whole. What they don't tell you is how limited the agent role is once you have a claim.

Imagine buying a new car, driving it a few days, having a problem and bringing it back and the service writer gives you less than satisfactory service. You go see the salesperson who sold you the car, he or she tells you that their hands are tied, they have no control over the service department.

What if they told you that their boss tells them to focus on selling and not on the service after the sale. Would you buy another car from them? Would you tell your friends to buy a car from their dealership?

This is the fundamental concept I plan to focus on with the new 52 week Life & Business Coaching Program that was scheduled to start on October 10th, 2005 and will now start on January 2nd, 2006.

No comments: