Friday, February 24, 2006

Life Coaching Designed For Children and Families

Today I stopped by my children's school to drop off a snack for what they call " Fun Friday." It is an incentive to get children to behave all week long. If a child does not behave during the week, they are not allowed to participate in the activities and treats.

As I walked down the hallway, there was a familiar face sitting outside the classroom. This boy from my daughters class was sitting outside the class and restricted from participating in the fun.

I had mixed emotions, I see how Life Coaching helps people see life from a different view, a much larger view. I also see how much stress this child causes his teacher. She is a sweet and wonderful dedicated teacher, but I can see she is at her wits end with this young man.

She has sent this boy to the office so many times, but it has resulted in limited temporary results. Can Life Coaching help at the elementary school level? I think so, I see first hand how great Life Coaching works with teenagers. Coaching outlines the options, and risks, the client makes the choice. Life Coaches never tell clients how to live their life.

Most school districts hire counselors to work with troubled youth, but are these youth really troubled? I don't think so, mixed up maybe, confused possibly, but more than likely, unable to express themselves. If a Life Coach could visually show a youth why they feel the way they do, imagine what that could do for a child who is confused.

He or she could gain clarity in their life, set goals, move forward, just like adults who utilize Life Coaching. In coaching we often say, if your current situation is not working, maybe it is time to try a different approach.

My favorite saying is, " don't ride a stationary bike and expect to get somewhere."

Maybe it is time in public school to try the coaching approach. Let children learn at a very early age why they have inner conflict and what the underlying dynamic is. If you are a teacher or administrator, please feel free to write me with your comments and suggestions.